Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top 5 Films of 2011

Hello and welcome back to the Guide to Geekdom. Entering the New Year I wanted to look back at 2011 and reflect upon which films I enjoyed most in the year. Before I get to 2011 I wanted to mention what my top 5 of 2010 were, I did make a list I just didn’t have The Geekdom yet:
5 –Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
4 -Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
3 -Tron Legacy
2 -The Book of Eli
1 -Inception
So without further hesitation, here are my Top 5 picks from 2011:
5 –Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I am a massive Planet of the Apes fan, so when I heard they were going to be making a new film, I was a little hesitant. Tim Burton really hurt this series and not a lot of people were interested in seeing a new entry. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did this film live up to the original series, it was also one of my favorite movies of the year. I only wish we had gotten to spend more time with just the apes instead of those damn dirty humans.
4 –The Adventures of Tintin
Gasp, a film I have yet to post a review for, and debatable ever will due to attacks of laziness. If me selecting a film I haven’t reviewed yet throws you off, just wait till you get to my number 1. I haven’t talked about this film much yet, but I want to briefly point out what I liked about it. The animation is absolutely one of the best I have ever seen in a computer generated film. I have always been a big fan of adventure films where the main characters could end up anywhere in the world. It was a really light hearted adventure that took its audience seriously, and that’s not something we see too often these day.
3 –Real Steel
This film really took me by surprise. I truly was expecting Rock’em Sock’em Robots the movie, but what I ended up with instead was Rocky with robots. The fight scenes were amazing and actually kept me on the edge of my seat despite the fact that it was all digitally constructed. The dynamic between the inattentive father and the son trying to prove his own worth really made this film for me.
2 –Captain America: The First Avenger
This was originally going to be my number 1 film, until I saw my number 1 film. That being said let me tell you why this originally was going to have the number 1 spot. This is by far one of the most perfect superhero films. I was absolutely not expecting much when I walked into the movie theater. I had liked Thor but it didn’t really thrill me, so I wasn’t too excited to see a film about a character I moderately liked and starring an actor I really wasn’t sure could pull it off. I was sure surprised to be leaving the theater thinking that this was one of my favorite superhero movies of all time.
1 –Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
This film completely and absolutely defeated all of my expectations for it. I wasn’t even going to go see this film. I had liked the first film, but it had disappointed me in many areas, and it didn’t really leave me excited to see a sequel. The trailers really didn’t seem interesting, and it just felt like a repeat of the first. Leaving the theater, I had absolutely nothing negative to say about it. I enjoyed watching this film 100% of the time. Not only did it completely out do the original film, it also found itself on the top of my list.

So that was my Top 5 of 2011. I now boldly go into 2012 with the high hopes of finding good films to watch and enjoy.
I’m the Guide to Geekdom, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I would have given Thor honorable mentions. While its sense of scale was rather confined, it really focused on the brotherly dynamic between Thor and Loki and made the perfect setup for the spike/ game-set-match that will be The Avengers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of mentioned Thor in the Captain America section. It's not that I didn't like Thor, far from it, it just didn't wow me as much as Captain America did, or the other films on this list for that matter.

    ReplyDelete